Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's a Small World After All

What's not to love about free connectivity and multi-way calling when you live in a remote Idaho canyon and want to talk to your group members in Mililani, Hawaii, and Beaverton, Oregon? Collaboration is a key element in any learning environment, but especially so in the virtual classroom.
Unlike traditional classrooms where I take an active role in class discussions, I tend to isolate myself in my online learning courses - focusing on tasks rather than reflection. David Ellis (2006) points out group members can make learning more effective by teaching one another, comparing notes to make sure everyone understood important information, use open-ended discussions to produce understanding and insight, and take advantage of the group support in personal areas.
My group partners,Damon and Cary, provided all those elements and more! Skype compacted my world and enlarged my insight. I became part of a learning community.


Ellis, D. B. (2006). Becoming a Master Student. Boston: Houghten Mifflin.

No comments:

Post a Comment