Friday, June 10, 2011

Looking for That Which is Not Lost

I'm always looking for something - and I don't mean my keys (although those who know me best would argue). I have a vision of being better—of finding the treasure found in mastering a new skill or expanding my understanding of a subject.
I grew up the middle girl-child of a family of six children. We were, and are, loud and rambunctious and competitive. I have been challenged and stretched to be better and go farther by my middle boy-child (one year older than I) sibling, and it hasn't always been friendly. If he knew something, I would look for more information so I could know it better. If he did something, I would look for do-it-yourself books at the public library so I would know how he did it.
This competitive drive morphed over the years into a personal competition where my brother and I would be more like team players in challenging one another along the timeline of our lives. He, brilliant in mathematics, is by primary profession a bio-robotics engineer who specialized in the design of above the knee prosthesis but now teaches varying levels of math to students who are just as deserving but far less appreciative of his intellect. I was successful in the business industry where I worked retail management and banking trust services while using my passion for learning to volunteer in local classrooms and tutoring ESL migrants, for as Idaho State University’s Department of Education frames it (circa 1998), “By Teaching We Learn.” I found myself looking for new ideas and methodologies to get a concept across and ended up with a Master’s degree in education.
As my world expanded, I found that my appreciation of diverse individuality was replenished by the love of God and I explored the possibilities of love-based Christianity and found deep personal insight and growth in a meaningful study of the Bible (which I believe to be true, by the way). I am still in the progress of that search…
Today I have changed careers multiple times and am looking for ways to expand this career that I love. I have long been a student and teacher in the virtual environment and have found that the possibilities of this new frontier are limited only by one’s lack of vision. So I keep looking…..

No comments:

Post a Comment